Wednesday, April 4, 2012

April 4

To point out the sights along a winding road. Somehow mountain peaks visible on the other side of a body of water, must be a cold high mountain lake, something glacial, slow-moving and eternal. The car veers off the road slightly, the driver, my father is leaning forward to point something out to a girlfriend of mine who I allowed the front seat because she was getting car sick and so I could sleep for awhile in the back. No seat beat in the back. Suddenly, as he leans and points, "I think it's that one. Well I have a story about that one." Then we are off the road. I am thinking 'why isn't he turning?' and he says I'm sorry I'm so sorry. Impact. Thrown around like rag dolls. From sleeping I am cognizant of surrounding water and yelling before we go under. Still some remaining air. I must kick out my window my door. And I do, dragging the unconscious body of the girl with me. Father is fine just shaken up. I try to call for help. To flag a car down or anything. He dives for supplies. All of them wet but some of the emergency stuff is waterproof. Cars speed by. Minding their own business. Then I pass out also. Girl's head on my chest. Leaning against the broken railing that should have kept us from soaring into the water.