Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Feb 22

9-920

Cornered into compliance. Trapped in a recording studio with no heads up. We aren't ready to lay anything down. It's going to sound like a garbled jam band. (Fat ass upstairs neighbor creaks out of bed. I hear his alarm clock through the ceiling. He loves designer drugs.) Garbled jam band it is. All the 21+ shows I have no access to. Go to mexico for spring break. With the English. Skydive with monkeys on madagascar. Snorkle with parakeets at the great barrier reef. Taunt sharks. (What man? This makes no fucking sense. But hey anyway. I'm not much of a reader, are you?) Yes I'm a reader you idiot. This is what I do. I feel like your sanity relies on consistency from me but I don't feel any commitment towards this band. A sick recording studio, sure. Scratch tracks? Live recording? Am I supposed to be indifferent to all of this? Because I was not consulted I have a hard time giving a damn.

My confusion. My unsettled opinion. I cannot register for a study abroad program unless I'm fully certain because of the steep application fee. This means that if I apply I must go and it does not become a secondary option. Don't let me look back and ask myself why I didn't go study in London, or New Zealand, or Spain. (summer abroad programs at UW?) Ideally I can pause my college life for a year or so. Tour the world with a band from Los Angeles. I received the call. The knock on the door in the middle of a fowl and tasteless dinner. How could you ignore such timing? No summer abroad if I must move to LA to write a record to tour with. How quickly these things happen in the music industry. I need this eye opening experience. A good old friend. Despite the problems that seem evident with such a project. (ie: I become a puppet... difference of opinion through musical creation. alcoholism. religiosity... etc) this would be a life-changing experience. I'm sold on the idea. It's not about money for me. It's about returning to a life of music but with the ability to redeem myself for all of the aspects I destroyed on my last run. This is full immersion into music. As a bass player once again, of course. That label always on top of my head. Yes, I'm a bass player, but it seems like a passive instrument. Not all of the time, sure. I can think of tons of examples of bass players with presence. I have a feeling I will be more of a dancer than a fancy bass player. I might buy myself a pedal tuner or some slight distortion. Something crunchy. Mess with effects and have a grand old time. Nothing stops you from becoming a bass player with presence. You don't need to acquiesce to the boring old standards that someone implemented so many years ago. Break things. Be the solid opening act with an insane bassist. Learn acrobatics. Cartwheels, somersaults. Bass flips. Posi-jumps. Gang vocals. Spin that fucker around. And smash faces. Slight deviation from the puppet mastery. Wear a hat or sunglasses. Bandana. Who would we be opening for? (I say we. Who are you opening for?)